CEREC® crowns are dental crowns (“caps”) made of ceramic. They are also known as same-day crowns because they are made using in-office CAD/CAM technology. You’ll receive a custom-made crown in one visit—while you wait.
How Does CEREC Work?
CEREC CAD/CAM (computer-aided design/computer-aided manufacturing) technology allows us to complete every phase of restoring your tooth, right in our office.
We’ll craft a custom crown for you with these steps:
- Taper your natural tooth to ensure a crown will fit over it
- Use a handheld digital camera to take impressions of your teeth
- Transfer the digital model of your tooth to a CEREC milling machine that makes crowns
- Choose a block of ceramic that matches your tooth shade and place it in the milling machine
- Transmit the digital model of your crown from a computer to the milling machine, which will craft the ceramic block into a precisely fitting crown
- Place the crown over your tooth and check it for comfort and bite
- Bond the CEREC crown to your tooth
Your crown will have the perfect size and shape to function well and help you smile with confidence.
When Are They Used?
Most often, CEREC crowns are used to quickly restore back teeth that are badly worn, cracked, or decayed.
CEREC vs. Traditional Crowns
- It requires two visits—the first to prepare your tooth and take messy impressions and the second to place the crown after a lab makes it.
- You’ll wear a temporary crown until a dental lab makes the final crown.
- For back teeth, some dentists use porcelain-fused-to-metal crowns to strengthen the ceramic and help it withstand chewing forces.
- In one appointment, we take digital impressions with a handheld camera, prepare your tooth, and craft and place the crown.
- You won’t wear a temporary crown because we make CEREC crowns in our office, not a lab.
- CEREC crowns besides being high strength, are metal-free. If you have metal allergies or sensitivities, this can be important.
How to Take Care of Your CEREC Crown
Take care of your CEREC crowns as you do your natural teeth.
- Brush your teeth twice daily
- Floss daily
- Avoid biting hard or sharp objects
- Let us know if you clench or grind your teeth. We can provide a custom mouth guard for you to wear at night and protect your teeth and crowns.
- Keep your dental exam and hygiene appointments
If you’re interested in restoring a tooth with a same-day CEREC crown, request an appointment online or call us to schedule.