I had a root canal treatment done three weeks ago. Everything seemed to go okay when I was in the first time, but then the dentist scheduled me for a second appointment since a fourth canal was suspected. Apparently the fourth canal was found and while performing the endodontic treatment a crack was found in my tooth. After the appointment I had a lot of pain and some swelling. As time passed the swelling went away, but I still am dealing with a consistent pain in my jaw. The pain seems to radiate into other areas of my face and my ear. It turns into a headache and I also feel sinus pressure.
Next, I’m supposed to have the crown placed. And I have decided to reschedule the appointment for a week later to hopefully allow some more time for it to heal.
Does this sound normal? Is there something else wrong or do I just need to give it some more healing time?
During the last procedure when he had to search for the fourth canal, I know he had to do a lot of digging. I have only been able to manage soft foods but I’m beginning to become frustrated by the whole thing. It has been close to five or six months now that I’ve been dealing with this problem tooth. Last week the dentist said that everything seemed fine from the x-ray that was done. I have been taking ibuprofen every six hours for weeks now and postponed the appointment like he suggested.
Let me know if you have any advice. Thank you!
– Carolyn from Florida
From what you have described, it sounds like it was good to postpone the crown. Although, it really may be a month or so before it can be fully determined if the tooth will be okay. A root canal treatment may not always be successful. And from the fourth canal that was found coupled with the crack, there is a chance the the root canal may have failed.
During schooling for dentists, they sometimes make you wait for six months before placing the crown to make sure there were no other problems that arose. It is not necessary to wait that long now, but it is important to note that it does take time for issues to surface. For example, if the tooth has an infection then it won’t be visible on the x-ray until the infection has had some time to settle in. Then it still may be difficult to pick it up on an x-ray.
It may be worth another trip to the endodontist to have them evaluate your case and review the x-ray to determine that everything looks okay before having the crowns placed.
This post is sponsored by Lafayette Dentist Theriot Family Dental Care.
Related Links: emergency dentist; CEREC crowns